118th Anniversary International Exhibition of Works on Paper
Show opens: October 14, 2018 - November 20, 2018
Opening Reception & Awards Ceremony: October 21st from 3 to 5 pm
Wayne Art Center
413 Maplewood Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087Download the full prospectus here
skip to steps for submitting
$1,500 PWCS Award of Excellence
Total Cash Awards in Excess of $8,500
Juror of Selection - Alan Wylie
Alan Wylie was born in Glasgow, Scotland where he attended and graduated from the Glasgow School of Art with a degree in Mural Design and Mosaics. In 1967 he immigrated to Nova Scotia and began a career as a full time artist and teacher.
In 1973 he moved to British Columbia where he resumed his career. He later married his artist wife, Janice Robertson and together they moved to the historic village of Fort Langley.
Alan has won numerous awards including the top prize at the Adirondacks National Exhibition of American Watercolors and in 2003, The Federation of Canadian Artists Grand Prize. His list of awards span over six decades. He has had over 73 solo exhibitions along with selected group exhibitions. He has also been included in many collections both here in the U.S. and internationally. For more information please go to www.alan-wylie.ca .
Judge of Awards - Alvaro Castagnet
Alvaro Castagnet, “The Passionate Painter,” has traveled internationally giving workshops, lectures and exhibiting his work. A Master Watercolor Artist he was born in Montevideo, Uruguay where, at a young age, he studied at the National School of Art and then at The Fine Arts University.
In 1983 he migrated to Australia where he continued his career, holding his first solo exhibition in 1985. Over the past 30 years he has been recognized with numerous awards including 1st Prize at the 2012 3rd Annual Signature American Watercolor Exhibition.
Alvaro lives with his wife, Anna Maria, and two sons in Montevideo where he maintains a studio even as he continues his international schedule of workshops, judging, lecturing and writing. His books include “The Watercolor Masterclass” and “Beyond Technique: Painting With Passion”. He was recently featured in the February, 2018 “Watercolor Artist” magazine. For more information on this amazing, world class artist go to www.alvarocastagnet.net
Opening Entry Date Sunday, April 1, 2018
Final Entry Date Sunday, July 15, 2018
Email Notification Friday, August 10, 2018
Shipped Works Due No later than Friday, October 5, 2018
Hand Delivery Sunday, October 7, 2018 - 3 to 7 pm
Show Opens Sunday, October 14, 2018
Alvaro Castagnet Demo Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 5 to 6:30 pm
Awards Reception Sunday, October 21 - 3 to 5 pm
Gallery Talk Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 7 pm
Winsor Newton Demo Saturday, November 17, 2018 - 10 to 12 pm
Exhibit Closes Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 5 pm
Hand Pick-Up After exhibition closes on Tuesday,
November 20, 2018 from 5 to 7 pm
November 21, 2018 from 9 to 11 am
Return Shipping November 21, 2018
Artists are responsible for insuring their work in transit. Wayne Art Center will provide insurance during the exhibition. PWCS will not be responsible for works damaged, lost or stolen. Any work left after close of exhibition will be placed in storage at the artist’s risk and insurance coverage discontinued. A late charge of $5 per day will apply.
Wayne Art Center takes a 40% commission on all sales. All work must be for sale.
Members dues must be paid in full prior to entering the 2018 International Works on Paper Exhibit. “Paid in full” means that your dues are paid until December 31, 2018.
PLEASE PAY YOUR DUES AND UPDATE YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION AT www.pwcsociety.org.
Entry fee entitles entrants to submit two paintings but no more than one painting will be selected for the exhibition.
There are new benefits to membership, members only events and discounted rates on workshops, demonstrations and talks.
A limited edition catalog will be sent to all entrants. All international entrants will be sent the catalog in a PDF format. Additional catalogs will be available for purchase.
An Associate Member in good standing will become a Signature Member after exhibiting as an Associate in two Anniversary International Exhibitions. Signature Members may use initials “PWCS” after their name.
- Media: In addition to watercolor; soft pastels, charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, pen & ink, gouache, acrylic and hand-pulled prints are also accepted. All work must be original and on or of paper. Clay prints on Reemay using water soluble mediums are acceptable. Collage elements must be of paper and cannot be mounted on canvas. Any image or color on collage papers must be the work of the artist. No oils, oil pastels, photographic, digital, electronic processes or computer art will be accepted.
- No work previously exhibited at Wayne Art Center or in any PWCS exhibition will be accepted.
- All entries must be for sale.
- Entries must be no older than 3 years.
- Must not have been done under teacher supervision.
- Minimum image size of 100 square inches
CONDITIONS FOR ACCEPTED WORK
Only framing with white mats and glass are acceptable. A thin color liner may be used when double matting. Selected work must be wired and ready to hang. Framing must be professional in appearance with clean mats, frames without visible damages, and clean glass without noticeable scratches. Back of painting should be sealed. PWCS reserves the right to review all delivered entries for conformance with specifications outlined in the prospectus and the right to refuse any work that does not match the submitted digital entry.
Work that does not comply will not be exhibited and will be returned at the artist’s expense; and, the artist will be precluded from any and all exhibitions sponsored by the PWCS for a period of two years.
Work not delivered by Oct 5, 2018 will be returned at the artist’s expense; and, the artist will be precluded from any and all exhibitions sponsored by the PWCS for a period of two years.
For Frequently Asked Questions regarding Entry Submissions, please our Digital Entry Preparation Requirements page.
DIGITAL ENTRIES PREPARATION
If an entry does not conform to the digital requirements there may be issues in publishing that entry in our catalog or in promotional material.
Visit this page for additional guidelines on preparing digital images
- Digital entries must be JPG format with a resolution of (at least) 300 dpi.
- Image size should be 1200-1500 pixels on the longest dimension with a maximum file size of 2 mb.
- Entries should show image only, no mat or frame.
SHIPPING and HANDLING INSTRUCTIONS
Detailed instructions will be sent to accepted entrants.
North American Entries:
Shipped work must ship with prepaid return label and the $ 20 handling fee check. Airfloat boxes are strongly recommended.
International Entries : A $50.00 handling fee will apply to all entries from outside of the United States, Canada or Mexico. (Please use PayPal for your handling fee)
- Artist is responsible for any damage in shipment.
- If a return label and check are not included with the shipped work, that painting will not be hung or included in the show.
- If handling fees are not paid the work will not be unpacked or hung in the exhibit.
- We must receive the proper payment and paperwork or you will be ineligible from entering PWCS exhibitions for the next two years.
- We will not be responsible for returning your painting.
STEPS TO ENTERING THE
Philadelphia Water Color Society
118th Anniversary International Exhibition of Works on Paper
1. Make sure your membership dues are paid and your contact information is up to date here. Dues for 2018 must be paid in full. (Paid through December 31, 2018) Note the Member discount/coupon code for the show from the Membership drop down menu or by clicking here. If your email is incorrect you may not get a notice about the acceptance of your painting nor will you receive communications from Philadelphia Water Color Society.
2. Review the digital image requirements and watch the tutorial here.
3. Go to the Call for Entries digital submission page.
4. This will take you to the EntryThingy entry system.
5. If you have not used the Entrythingy system before you will need to set up your free account. There is a video tutorial and it is easy.
6.Your Entrythingy account is a separate account from your PWCS account.
7. You will be asked to agree to the following:
I hereby agree to the conditions set forth in this prospectus. If my work is selected, I give permission for my work to be reproduced for the PWCS exhibition catalog, publicity, and educational purposes for this exhibition and possibly future exhibitions.
8. Complete your entry and pay your fee by PayPal. We do not accept checks. You do not need a PayPal account to pay your entry fee.
All information in your digital entry is final copy for the catalog.
NO PRICE CHANGES ARE ALLOWED, FOR ANY REASON!
Wayne Art Center takes a 40 percent commission.