Juror of Acceptance: Andy Evansen, AWS
Juror of Awards: Kass Morin-Freeman, AWS
ON LOCATION: Artists at Brandywine is organized by the Philadelphia Watercolor Society, the Brandywine River Museum of Art and the Chadds Ford Historical Society and will take place on May 31st - June 3rd, 2018
Twenty-five artists will be selected from submitted applications by the juror to paint on the four Brandywine River Museum of Art properties – the Kuerner Farm, the Andrew Wyeth Studio, the NC Wyeth Studio and the Brandywine River Museum of Art on June 1-3, 2018. Artists will be divided up randomly to paint on three properties in the morning and then free in the afternoon to paint on any of the properties. The artists night will be the evening of May 31st at the Brandywine Museum.
● Entries will be accepted between January 15 and March 15th, 2018. Follow these steps:
1. Make sure your membership dues are paid and your contact information is up to date here. PWCS membership must be up to date. If your email is incorrect you may not receive communications from Philadelphia Water Color Society.
2. Review the digital image requirements and watch the tutorial here.
3. Go to the Call for Entries digital submission page here.
4. If you have not used this system before you will need to set up an account. This is a separate account from your PWCS account. There is a video tutorial and it is easy.
5. You will be asked to agree to the following: I hereby agree to the conditions set forth in this prospectus. If my work is selected, I give permission for my work to be reproduced for the PWCS exhibition catalog, publicity, and educational purposes for this exhibition and possibly future exhibitions.
6. Complete your entry and pay your fee by PayPal. If you have an existing PayPal account use it rather than setting up a new one. Checks will not be accepted.
● There is a non-refundable fee of $40 payable online using a credit card or PayPal. Entry fees must be paid by the entry deadline. Unpaid applications will not be considered for selection.
● Submit two images that represent plein air work completed within the last 3 years outside on location for this jury.
● Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. Crop photos to include only the artwork. Image size must be no larger than 2 MB and 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 to 300 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format.
● Twenty-five artists selected from applicants will be notified by email and the list will be posted on the PWCS web site by April 1, 2018.
● ACCEPTED MEDIA: Watercolor, pastel, charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, gouache, egg tempera and acrylic are accepted. All work must be original and on or of paper. No oils, photographic, digital, electronic processes or computer art will be accepted.
There will be a mandatory artist meeting on the evening of May 31, 2018 at the Brandywine River Museum of Art. During this meeting each artist will find out which three properties they will be painting on for the morning. In the afternoon, they will be allowed to go to any other Museum properties to paint.
Artwork submitted must have been created en Plein air on the museum properties rain or shine between June 1–3, 2018, without the use of photography.
The art show will take place in the Chadds Ford Historical Society and will open with a reception on June 8th and run for a month. Artists are expected to attend the reception and promote the sale and show.
We will hang at least three paintings for each artist at the opening of the show of the maximum 6 submitted. As paintings are sold other ones will be hung.
Artists are responsible for framing their exhibited artwork, bringing it to the Chadds Ford Historical Society located in Chadds Ford, PA
All paintings must have the 2018 On Location stamp on the substrate to be accepted.
All exhibited artwork must be for sale. Artists set their own prices.
PWCS reserves the right to review all delivered entries for conformance with specifications outlined in the prospectus and the right to refuse any work.
All paintings created during On Location: Artists at Brandywine must be sold through and processed by the CFHS. Artists will receive 75% of the sale price less a credit card processing fee if applicable. The Chadds Ford Historical Society is a non-profit organization so patrons receive a tax form for 20% of the price of purchased paintings and another 5% of each sale is a donation to the Brandywine Conservancy. Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist.
Only white mats are acceptable or plein air frames with a liner. A thin color liner may be used when double matting. Selected work must be wired and ready to hang. Framing must be professional in appearance with clean mats, frames without visible damages, and clean glass or plexiglass without noticeable scratches. Back of painting should be sealed. PWCS reserves the right to review all delivered entries for conformance with specifications outlined in the prospectus and the right to refuse any work that does not match the submitted digital entry. Work that does not comply will not be exhibited and will be returned at the artist’s expense, and the artist will be precluded from any and all exhibitions sponsored by the PWCS for a period of two years.
Artists are responsible for insuring their work in transit. The Chadds Ford Historical Society will not provide insurance during the exhibition. PWCS will not be responsible for works damaged, lost or stolen. Any work left after close of exhibition will be placed in storage at the artist’s risk and insurance coverage discontinued. A late charge of $5 per day will apply.
CFHS, PWCS, The Brandywine River Museum of Art and each artist will promote “On Location” on their respective websites and social media. Each artist will be given postcards to mail or distribute to local business.
Artists will be notified of sales within 5 business days and payments will be processed promptly and mailed to the artist’s address provided at registration.
Artists reception on June 8th is required and will include the awarding of the prizes.
Further details about delivery of your paintings, details regarding the number of paintings that can be submitted, prizes to be awarded and your other responsibilities for this event will be described in the approval letters.
All Applicants must be members of PWCS in good standing. All artists participating in the event must have their dues paid up until December 2018.
Thank you for submitting your work for consideration for this unique plein air event. It is the sincere hope of the Philadelphia Water Color Society, the Brandywine River Museum of Art and the Chadds Ford Historical Society that those artists selected will experience memorable paintings, memorable camaraderie with your fellow artists, and great sales during the event.